Low and slow is how you make perfect pulled pork. The sweet and tangy Cantonese flavors in this pork dish pair perfectly with steamed cauliflower. You can make it a day ahead and reheat it in the oven or microwave – but its good even when served cold over a bed of lettuce. Make good use of your slow cooker this week with this easy and piquant dish.
Keto Chinese Pulled Pork
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 7 hours
- 2lb. pork shoulder or loin
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Chopped spring onion, to serve with
- Steamed cauliflower, to serve with
- Place the pork in a slow cooker.
- Mix chicken stock, tomato sauce, tomato paste, ginger powder, garlic powder, soy sauce, and smoked paprika in a medium bowl.
- Pour the stock mixture into the slow cooker with the chicken.
- Make sure that the mixture gets under the pork.
- Cover and cook for 7 hours on low heat.
- Pull the pork with two forks and serve with the sauce.
- Serve with steamed cauliflower and chopped spring onion.
Tips & Tricks
If you don’t have a slow cooker
Make pulled pork in the oven from char siu meat, aka Chinese BBQ pork. To get that sticky and sweet flavor of char siu, consider making low-carb hoisin sauce and stevia or another sweetener. Optionally, you can prepare the pork meat as describe in this recipe and roast uncovered in the oven 2-3 hours at 325 F.
How to serve
Pulled pork can be served on keto buns, cauliflower rice, lettuce, in low-carb taco shells, with bok choy, keto pasta, and many other ways. You can also serve it cold or warm. You can refrigerate it for up to 2 days.