Beef Stroganoff or Stroganov is a popular Russian dish that you can easily make using only low-carb ingredients like in this recipe. If you like a thicker Stroganoff sauce, simply add a bit of glucomannan powder or xanthan gum at the end of cooking. This meal is perfect served over cauliflower mash but you can also eat it with almond flour pasta.
Keto Beef Stroganoff
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1lb. beef brisket, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup beef stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Add onion, garlic, and thyme.
- 3Cook stirring for around 3 minutes.
- 4Add the beef brisket and cook until browned.
- 5Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6Add tomato paste and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 7Add balsamic vinegar and cook for 5 minutes.
- 8Add beef stock and simmer for 1 hour.
- 9Add mushrooms and continue to simmer for 1 hour more. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- 10Serve warm with some keto cauliflower mash.
Tips & Tricks
For a perfect Stroganoff, make sure to cut mushrooms to ¼ of an inch thickness and no thinner. When sautéing onions, cook until just translucent. Burnt onions can ruin the taste of Stroganoff. On the other hand, don’t skip browning the beef until it develops a nice caramel hue. If making Stroganoff in a slow cooker, add the sour cream and mustards in the last half hour of cooking.
You can make bigger batches of this dish by doubling the ingredients and store the Stroganoff in the fridge for up to 3 days. Stroganoff is also a freezer-friendly dish that stores well for up to 3 months. Defrost it in the microwave, on the kitchen counter, or by reheating it in the pot.