A comfort dish that’s also bursting with health benefits – that’s cauliflower gratin for you. This recipe calls for a double dose of cheese to give it that melty, cheesy texture as well as cream and Greek yogurt in place of milk for a truly ketogenic dish. While it’s good on its own as a lunch or dinner meal, it can also double as a side dish.
Cauliflower Ham Gratin
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 ½ cups diced ham (pork or turkey)
- cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Boil the cauliflower florets in a saucepot for 5 minutes. Drain and place aside in a colander.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cream cheese, yogurt, and Parmesan.
- Stir in the diced ham.
- Grease a casserole dish with some cooking spray.
- Transfer the cauliflower to the casserole dish. Top with cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top. Bake the casserole for 30 minutes.
- Serve gratin warm.
Tips & Tricks
The best way to prepare cauliflower for gratin is not to overcook it. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a messy mush. Cook the cauliflower florets until they are just beginning to become tender. Don’t worry if they’re a bit al dente, they will continue to cook in the oven. Alternatively, you can steam the florets or even microwave them.
Despite its bland appearance, cauliflower is one of the most powerful antioxidant foods there is. According to some studies, microwaving and steaming are two cooking methods that preserve most of the antioxidants in this popular keto veggie. Besides the antioxidant power of cauliflower, this dairy-heavy dish will also boost your intake of calcium and vitamin D, both of which you need to maintain strong bones.