These lemon bars taste just like the real thing, if not better. They’re also pretty easy to make, even though you’ll go through several steps in the baking process. And at only 1g net carbs per serving, who could resist these yummy, lemony desserts?
Keto Lemon Bars
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 ¼ cups almond flour
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tbsp erythritol
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup desired sweetener, like erythritol
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 ½ tbsp powdered gelatin
- Start preparing the crust by lining an 8-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Fold in almond butter, lemon zest, and erythritol in to the melted butter until you get a crumbly mixture.
- Transfer the mixture onto a baking dish and press it down evenly.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes at 350F.
- Remove from oven and place aside to cool.
- Make the filling by melting the butter in a saucepot over medium-high heat.
- Once melted, whisk in the sweetener, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Whisk in the egg yolks. Cook the mixture over medium heat until thickened. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve and into a bowl. Stir in the xanthan gum and gelatin powder until completely dissolved.
- Spread the mixture over the pre-baked crust and smooth it evenly. Bake the bars for 15 minutes at 350F.
- Let the bars cool before removing from the pan.
- Cut into 8 squares and dust with powdered erythritol before serving.
Tips & Tricks
Make sure not to overbake the crust; otherwise, you’ll end up with a crumbly bar that won’t hold well together. And for even-looking bars, be patient when pressing the dough and evening out the filling – it takes a steady hand to get it right, but it isn’t all too complicated, really.
Some like their lemon bars on the tangier side, others like them sweet. If you like them sweeter, simply add a tablespoon more of erythritol to the filling. If you like them slightly tangy, leave the recipe as is.