If you want something simple but impressive this Halloween, make these skull-shaped chocolate cookies. You’ll only need a handful of ingredients you probably already have at home and a couple of minutes of your time to assemble them. These cookies are scrumptious and the skull shape is always a win on Halloween parties.
Keto Black Skull Cookies
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-11 min (plus inactive time)
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ⅓ cup powdered erythritol
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 scoop Kiss My Keto – Keto Protein Birthday Cake
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- In a small saucepot, combine half of the butter with the cocoa powder.
- Set over medium heat and cook until the butter has melted. Stir until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the remaining butter with powdered erythritol until smooth.
- Fold in the egg yolk. Add vanilla at this point if using.
- Fold in almond flour and stir until you get a smooth dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out the dough using a skull-shaped cookie cutter.
- Transfer the dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes.
- Cool the cookies on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Make the icing. Combine the protein powder and almond milk in a small bowl. Spoon the mixture into a small icing bag and draw the eyes and skull teeth.
- Let the icing set for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Tips & Tricks
- You can use other cookie cutter molds for this recipe. Or simply make regular round cookies and draw spooky stuff with colorful sugar-free icing. Great ideas include spiders, blood drips, and pumpkin monsters.
- The cookies are done when they still give to slight pressure at the center. Don’t worry, they’re firm up once cooled.
- You can make sugar-free royal icing with a combination of almond milk, erythritol, and fiber syrup. Recipes can easily be found online.