Just because you’re on a diet does not mean you can’t have dinner with friends and family. These 30 places prove eating out and staying keto is easy.
You’ve mastered the fine art of low-carb cooking and start thinking to yourself that keto couldn’t be any easier. But then someone asks you to eat out and you’re met with what you think is a huge new challenge: Is eating out on keto even possible without completely ruining your efforts?
It’s actually possible to eat low-carb (and enjoy it) at some of the best restaurants for the ketogenic diet. These can be fast-casual, fast food, and even fine dining places. However, most won’t offer keto-friendly meals unless you tweak your order. For instance, you can ask for a bunless burger wrapped in lettuce or go for burrito bowls without the rice and beans.
With that said, what are the best keto-friendly restaurants? And how do you order keto at a restaurant?
Below, we answer both of those questions.
Known for Southwest food, Chili’s Grill & Bar also offers generous portions and kid-friendly meals. Things you can order include baby back ribs and fajitas. Also offered on the menu are beer and wine in case you’re curious.
If you find yourself in one of their 1,500 + locations, it’s best to go for their grill, however, which are often served with low-carb veggies.
- Best keto option: Classic Sirloin with Grilled Avocado
- Nutrition info: 1020 calories, 52g fat, 4g net carbs, 135g protein
2. Olive Garden
Here’s where you should eat if you love Italian-American food. They make some of their tasty meals from scratch every single day! And their food is overall of great quality. Olive Garden’s most popular items include chicken and shrimp carbonara, eggplant parmigiana, and breadsticks. But you’re on keto so go for things like stuffed mushrooms or a chicken or salmon piccata.
- Best keto option: Chicken Margherita
- Nutrition info: 570 calories, 30g fat, 4g net carbs, 135g protein
3. Carrabba’s Italian Grill
Simply known as Carrabba’s, this Italian-American place chain is one of the most keto-friendly restaurants out there. It’s headquartered in Tampa, Florida and many of their dishes are family secrets. One of their most popular dishes is grilled chicken breasts drenched in lemon-butter sauce and topped with goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Best keto option: Grilled Asparagus with Prosciutto
- Nutrition info: 250 calories, 16g fat, 4g net carbs, 22g protein
4. Buffalo Wild Wings
This might seem counterintuitive considering so many restaurant wings are drenched in sugary sauces, but traditional Buffalo Wild Wings offer wings with absolutely no carbs, even with their hot or medium signature sauce.
Other than that, this casual dining and sports bar place also offers vegetable sticks and blue cheese dressing.
- Best keto option: Traditional Buffalo Wild Wings with Hot Sauce (6 count)
- Nutrition info: 430 calories, 24g fat, 0g net carbs, 53g protein
5. Red Lobster
As you know, seafood is Red Lobster’s specialty. And lucky for you, crab, lobster, shrimp, and fish are all keto-friendly. But they also offer chicken, steak, soups, salads, and beverages. Go for grilled fish or steamed lobster and avoid anything breaded or served with pasta and you’re good to go.
- Best keto option: Wild-Caught Snow Crab Legs
- Nutrition info: 440 calories, 34g fat, 0g net carbs, 32g protein
6. The Cheesecake Factory
Don’t let the name discourage you in case you’ve never been here before. The Cheesecake Factory offers much more than cheesecakes, and it’s also one of the best restaurants for keto. Their menu is pretty extensive, with offers like steak, fish, salads, and chicken, to name a few. And their portions are notoriously generous – always a plus.
- Best keto option: Skinnylicious Grilled Salmon
- Nutrition info: 590 calories, 37g fat, 13g net carbs, 44g protein
7. Red Robin
Hands down, the best low-carb restaurant if you’re looking for tasty burgers. They offer gourmet food, and you’ll love Red Robin and their wedgie-style items, i.e. burgers with lettuce wraps instead of buns. Other than that, avoid anything breaded and watch the sauces – some of them can be pretty high in carbs.
- Best keto option: Guacamole Bacon Burger (Wedgie-Style)
- Nutrition info: 790 calories, 62g fat, 10g net carbs, 44g protein
A fast-casual restaurant that serves Mexican-inspired food, Chipotle is best known for their customizable burritos and salad bowls. Take advantage of order customizing at this place or just go for their keto bowl, which is part of their lifestyle bowl collection. Use their Nutrition Calculator for other orders before heading to the nearest place.
- Best keto option: Keto Salad Bowl
- Nutrition info: 535 calories, 24g fat, 7g net carbs, 30g protein
Love classic American dishes like hamburgers, BBQ meat, chili, and steak salads? Applebee’s offers your favorite food and some of it can be low in carbs with a bit of tweaking. Skip the croutons in all of their salads and you won’t have to worry about the carbs. Avoid the appetizers and order anything grilled with green veggies.
- Best keto option: Green Goddess Wedge
- Nutrition info: 540 calories, 51g fat, 9g net carbs, 10g protein
10. Outback Steakhouse
A steakhouse is by default a keto restaurant if you exclude the sides. Outback Steakhouse is an Australian-themed but with American casual dining options all made from scratch. They offer, of course, grilled steaks but also chicken and seafood. And if you want more variety, you can also order salads and sides.
- Best keto option: Grilled Alaskan Halibut with Veggies
- Nutrition info: 432 calories, 16g fat, 13g net carbs, 59g protein
11. TGI Fridays
Built upon a legacy of quality food, inventive drink, and loads of fun, TGI Fridays is one of the best places for great casual dining experiences. Here, you’ll also find American classics like burgers, BBQ meals, cobb salad, chicken wings, and more.
As with similar places, stick to bunless options, avoid anything breaded, and be careful with the sides and sauces.
- Best keto option: Million Dollar Cobb Salad with Grilled Chicken (Lunch portion) with Ranch Dressing
- Nutrition info: 520 calories, 37g fat, 8g net carbs, 34g protein
12. Bonefish Grill
Many seafood-centric restaurants are a keto eater’s haven. They’re restaurants with low-carb options and Bonefish Grill is a great example with their focus on wood-grilled specialties. They offer high-quality, seasonal, and locally-created meals. Options include cod piccata, fillet mignon, and cobb salad.
- Best keto option: Pecan Parmesan-Crusted Rainbow Trout
- Nutrition info: 790 calories, 55g fat, 11g net carbs, 58g protein
13. Shake Shack
Shake Shack started as a hot dog cart in Manhattan and grew to become one of the largest restaurant chains in the US. They offer pasture-raised, antibiotic-free, and freshly-made beef and chicken. They also offer beer and wine and vegetarian alternatives. Order their burgers in lettuce wraps and you’ll keep carbs low.
- Best keto option: Single Cheeseburger in a lettuce wrap
- Nutrition info: 325 calories, 24g fat, 2g net carbs, 23g protein
Houlihan’s operates almost 50 restaurants in 13 different states. If you happen to find yourself in one of them, know that this is a great place to get your keto breakfast, lunch, or dinner meal or even order happy hour specials. Things you can order include steak and eggs, ham and eggs, stuffed mushrooms, mashed cauliflower, and bunless burgers.
- Best keto option: 8 oz Filet Steak (and mashed cauliflower if you want)
- Nutrition info: 650 calories, 50g fat, 0g net carbs, 46g protein
15. Baja Fresh
Baja Fresh is known for Tex-Mex food that’s handmade, farm-fresh, and very nutritious. You’ll have to skip some of their most popular additions, though. This includes their burritos, quesadilla, nachos, and tacos.
But you can order a salad bowl with extra guac.
- Best keto option: Baja Ensalada – Charbroiled Steak Salad
- Nutrition info: 254 calories, 11g fat, 11g net carbs, 25g protein
16. Jimmy John’s
You’d think a sandwich restaurant is the last place you’d see a keto eater. But with their wide choice of unwiches, aka lettuce wrap sandwiches, Jimmy John’s is one of the best restaurants for the ketogenic diet. Each unwich is made with fresh lettuce, all-natural meats, and hand-sliced veggies. Every unwich also has 10 carbs or less guaranteed.
- Best keto option: Totally Tuna Unwich
- Nutrition info: 346 calories, 33g fat, 5g net carbs, 25g protein
17. Jersey Mike’s
And here’s another sandwich place worth visiting. With almost 1,600 locations in the US, you’re likely to end up at Jersey Mike’s at one point. And lucky for you, they’ll let you get a sub in a tub for most of their menu options. Go for cheese and meat combos since these have a great balance of fat and protein with minimal carbs. Also, consider their salad bowls.
- Best keto option: Steak, Egg, & Cheese sub in a tub
- Nutrition info: 380 calories, 23g fat, 3g net carbs, 39g protein
With thousands of locations across the US and beyond, chances are you’ll be tempted to go to Wendy’s at some point. Just like their biggest competitors, McDonald’s and Burger King, Wendy’s offers hamburgers, fries, and other fast-food staples. To keep things low-carb, go for their salads or order bunless burgers.
- Best keto option: Southwest Avocado Chicken Salad
- Nutrition info: 440calories, 26g fat, 7g net carbs, 42g protein
Subway primarily serves sub sandwiches, but also salads and extras. You can order a sub in a tub here as well, but it’s much better to go for one of their salad bowls if you want a satisfying meal at a decent price.
- Best keto option: Chicken & Bacon Ranch Salad
- Nutrition info: 430 calories, 32g fat, 11g net carbs, 32g protein
20. The Capital Grille
Now, if you love burgers and steaks but also something a bit more upscale and fancy, The Capital Grille is a great place to start. You’ll have a wide choice of grilled meat and seafood available. Their clam chowder is pretty low in carbs and so is their cobb salad with sliced tenderloin.
- Best keto option: Maine Lobster Salad
- Nutrition info: 490 calories, 35g fat, 8g net carbs, 26g protein
21. Cracker Barrel
The full name is Cracker Barrel Old Country Store and the menu is based on traditional Southern cooking. You’ll find American classic dishes like hamburger steaks, meatloaves, sirloin steak, bacon and eggs, and more.
They also offer take-n-bake meals that you can reheat at home.
- Best keto option: Grilled Country Pork Chops
- Nutrition info: 505 calories, 25g fat, 0g net carbs, 70g protein
22. Ruby Tuesday
For those on the East Coast, Ruby Tuesday can also offer classic American meals for as little carbs as possible. Choices include appetizers, seafood, steaks, chicken, ribs, and sides. Avoid high-carb additions like mashed potatoes and pasta meals and go for meat-based options with green veggies.
- Best keto option: Chicken Bella
- Nutrition info: 288 calories, 10g fat, 3g net carbs, 34g protein
Bareburger is the very definition of clean comfort food. They work with sustainable farmers and other partners to offer customers some of the healthiest meals out there. You’ll find vegetarian, gluten-free, and other special diet options. Low-carb options include bunless burgers and some of their salads.
- Best keto option: Hudson Salad
- Nutrition info: 470 calories, 35g fat, 17g net carbs, 21g protein
If you ever find yourself craving a chicken sandwich, Chick-Fil-A specializes in them. You’ll have to order one without the bun, though, and go for one with grilled breasts. Their grilled chicken nuggets are also a big keto diet win, and there are some great sides that you should consider like their kale crunch salad.
- Best keto option: 8 ct Grilled Nuggets with a Side Salad
- Nutrition info: 290 calories, 13g fat, 10g net carbs, 31g protein
25. P.F. Chang’s
For fans of American-Chinese cooking, P.F. Chang’s offers egg drop soup, spare ribs, shrimp in lobster sauce, and more. They make all their food from scratch daily and some of their gluten-free options are keto-friendly, like their wok-seared spinach with garlic.
- Best keto option: Shrimp with Lobster Sauce
- Nutrition info: 500 calories, 27g fat, 17g net carbs, 38g protein
26. Seasons 52
A fresh grill and wine bar, Seasons 52 promises to deliver seasonal meals made with fresh ingredients. Their food is on the lighter side and the restaurant atmosphere is sophisticated. Offers vary by location but great low-carb examples include fillet mignon, scallops, roasted salmon, and a greens salad.
- Best keto option: Lump Crab Cake
- Nutrition info: 290 calories, 20g fat, 7g net carbs, 19g protein
27. Texas Roadhouse
Most living in the Midwest or Southwest have been to Texas Roadhouse at least one. The Western-themed restaurant offers a wide range of mostly meat-based dishes, some of which are low-carb combined with greens. Great options you should consider are all their steaks, smothered chicken, and grilled salmon salad.
- Best keto option: Grilled BBQ Chicken with Sirloin
- Nutrition info: 810 calories, 43g fat, 13g net carbs, 91g protein
28. Longhorn Steakhouse
When you enter a Longhorn Steakhouse restaurant, you’ll notice Western-themed memorabilia. In line with the theme, they offer steak, ribs, chicken, but also salmon, salads, lobster, and shrimp.
Of course, wine and beer are also on the menu for a full experience.
- Best keto option: Seasoned Steakhouse Wings with Buffalo Sauce and Blue Cheese Dressing
- Nutrition info: 346 calories, 33g fat, 5g net carbs, 25g protein
29. Bahama Breeze Island Grille
As the name implies, Bahama Breeze offers Caribbean-inspired food and drink. Items on the menu are mostly seafood but you’ll also find chicken. Menu options vary greatly by location, so it’s best to check what’s available on their website if you want to plan ahead.
- Best keto option: Jamaican Chicken Wings
- Nutrition info: 780 calories, 53g fat, 9g net carbs, 66g protein
Denny’s is a diner-style restaurant chain with over 1,700 locations in America. They’re well-known for taking food safety and quality nutrition seriously, and they’re also known as one of the best restaurants with keto options. Things you can order are bunless burgers, salads, and seafood and steaks
- Best keto option: Mediterranean Grilled Chicken (and side choices)
- Nutrition info: 630 calories, 40g fat, 5g net carbs, 65g protein
While your choice of food is pretty limited when dining out on keto, it isn’t impossible to keep things low-carb at some of the most famous restaurants. Be they fast food, casual dining, or even fine dining places, there is always a keto-friendly option you could order.
In most cases, you’ll need to customize your order to fit your macros. But some places already do that for you. Hopefully, you’ve found something on this list that can help you out on your next restaurant visit. Make sure to research the menu carefully before making your order and ask for extra butter or guac whenever possible!