Make good use of pumpkin season with these pumpkin and cheese cannelloni. Slightly tart and delicate cheese flavors go perfectly with sweet pumpkin in this fall dish. And topped with herbed butter sauce, these are as homely and comforting as they get.
Pumpkin Cannelloni with Thyme Butter Sauce
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
For the cannelloni sheets:
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1lb. cooked pumpkin, pureed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan, reserve 1 tbsp
Browned butter sauce:
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
Make the cannelloni sheets:
- Preheat a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Place the eggs, olive oil, Parmesan, water, and salt and pepper in a bowl and beat well.
- Pour ¼ of the mixture into the skillet. Using a swirling motion, distribute the mixture evenly over the bottom.
- Cook as you would crepes, for around 2 minutes. Lift and gently flip. Continue to cook for 1 minute. Place aside and repeat with the remaining mixture.
Make the filling:
- Sauté the garlic in olive oil for around 1 minute. Transfer into a mortar and pestle and mash into a paste.
- Mix the garlic paste with the pumpkin puree, mascarpone, and Parmesan.
- Spread ¼ of the mixture over the egg cannelloni sheets. Roll the cannelloni and place in a pre-greased baking dish. If the dish is smaller, cut the cannelloni in half and tuck in.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Sprinkle the cannelloni with the reserved Parmesan cheese and bake for 12 minutes.
Make the sauce:
- While the dish is baking, melt the butter over medium heat. Add thyme and cook until lightly browned.
- Drizzle the sauce over the cannelloni before serving.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure to liberally brush your baking dish with oil to prevent the cannelloni from sticking. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a messy dinner.
- Besides thyme, feel free to use sage or oregano in the butter sauce. Also, since this is an Italian-inspired meal, sprinkle with a bit of grated Parmesan after drizzling the hot sauce over the cannelloni.
- While best served warm, this meal is like freshly made when reheated in the microwave.